Professor Brian McArthur (PhD) is educated and broadly skilled in the fields of Information Systems, Education and IT Research. Prior to joining UKZN, he worked as a teacher, lecturer and subject adviser (Computer Studies) and senior curriculum specialist in the Natal Education Department. He joined the then University of Natal (Durban) in 2001 as a Senior Lecturer (Information Systems) and later moved to head the Pietermaritzburg Information Systems section as Associate Professor in 2002.
After the merger of the Universities of Natal and Durban-Westville, he served the School of Information Systems and Technology as Deputy Head of School from 2006 to 2010 and as Acting Head of School in 2011. He has represented the school on many university committees, including Senate. He has been the Academic Leader: Research and Higher Degrees in the School of Management, IT and Governance from 2013 to 2017 and served as acting Dean and Head of School in 2017. He is currently the acting College Dean for Teaching & Learning.
Acting DVC and Head of College
Sc(Unisa), BA(Hons), MA(Natal), PhD(UKZN), MBL, Dip Datametrics Unisa), HDE(Natal)
- Higher Diploma in Education (University of Natal)
- Diploma in Datametrics (UNISA)
- Research preparation of postgraduate students
- Doctoral education
- Discipline identity of Information Systems
- IT research
Recent Publications and Papers
- N Astrup and B McArthur 2010 The Relationship between Emotional Intelligence and Transformational Leadership in Information Systems Managers: An Exploratory Study Alternation 17
- A Ngidi and B McArthur 2012 E-book Usage by Students Alternation 18 Special Edition 5
- P Ndayizigamiye and B McArthur 2014 Determinants of E-Commerce Adoption amongst SMMEs in Durban, South Africa MJSS 5 (25) November
- I Abdulla and B McArthur 2016 Government-to-Government e-Government: A Case Study of Challenges Facing User Adoption in KwaZulu-Natal Alternation 22
- T Ramluckan, M Subban and B McArthur 2016 The Relevance of South African Legislation on Social Media as a Strategic Disaster and Crisis Communications Tool Journal of Information Warfare 15(1).
- B McArthur 2016 Thinking like Researchers in a Research Methods Module for Information Systems Honours Students in D Remenyi (ed) The Innovation in Teaching of Research Methodology Excellence Awards ACPI
- B McArthur 2016 Towards a Curriculum for Initial Research Preparation in Information Systems Paper presented at European Conference on Research Methods for Business and Management Studies in London June 2016
- M Gouweloos and B McArthur Cloud Computing: A Readiness Study among Small Financial Services Organisations. Paper presented at the Business Management conference August 2016
- B McArthur and R Dhunpath 2016 Research Preparation as Curriculum? Paper presented at the UKZN Teaching and Learning conference September 2016
- Abdulla and B McArthur 2018 Government-to-Government e-Government: A Case Study of Challenges Facing User Adoption in KwaZulu-Natal Alternation 22
- M Gouweloos and B McArthur 2019 Cloud Computing: A Readiness Study among Small Financial Services Organisations Alternation 23