The choice of a doctoral degree programme should be based on an individual’s research interests and the approach one wishes to apply to that research. The Graduate School of Business & Leadership offers the Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA), a degree that combines academic rigor and managerial relevance. It provides candidates with the flexibility to apply a broad range of research methods to their chosen managerial discipline. It is an intensive programme that is individual in nature and demands a great deal of time, initiative and discipline from every candidate. The purpose of the doctoral education offered by the School is to produce scholars who will lead in their fields of research and make an active intellectual contribution to the complex organisational, financial and technological issues of an increasingly challenging business world
A student registered for a Doctoral degree shall be so registered for a minimum period of four semesters for full-time students or eight semesters for part-time students before the degree may be conferred.
Entry Criteria (extract from the College of Law and Management Studies Handbook)
a)An applicant shall not be registered for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy / a supervised Doctoral degree by research in any college unless the applicant has:
- (i) satisfied the requirements for a relevant prerequisite degree as specified in the college concerned (Masters); or
- (ii) been admitted to the status of that degree in terms of Rule GR7(a); or
- (iii) attained a level of competence as defined in Rule GR7(b)
b) A college may prescribe further minimum criteria for admission to study.
Application for admission
Applications will need to be made online at – Click here
- Brief curriculum vitae which should include details of your current work situation and any research related activities including publications (e.g. articles, reports) that you may have (co)authored,
- Cover letter (indicate in your covering letter which of the Graduate School of Business and Leadership Academic staff members you have consulted regarding your intended research. Staff list here You may also suggest whom you would like to work with as the promoter of your study. If you do not know any Graduate School of Business & Leadership staff, then indicate in your recommendation what kind of expertise you would consider to be appropriate to support your studies.)
- 5 page description of the research that you intend to pursue for the PhD studies eg form
- A copy of your academic record, especially the results obtained for your Honors and Master’s degree (for example the results for course work and the research components where applicable)
- A photo-copy of the abstract of your masters research dissertation
- Certified copies of Degree certificates
- Certified copy of I.D /Passport
- SAQA approval letter for International Applicants
International students require a SAQA evaluation certificate to evaluate your degree according to South African standards. In this regard please contact SAQA direct on 012-4315000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information contact e-mail to Ms Zikhona Majapelo : Mojapelo2@ukzn.ac.